Summer, is that you? We hear you calling and don’t worry we will pick up. These mojito cupcakes will put you in the mood even if the weather has other plans (the UK being the UK). Whip these up, take a big bite and imagine you’re on an exotic holiday.
- 110g unsalted butter
- 150g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 210g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 120ml buttermilk
- Half a tsp dark rum
- Half a tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp water
- 100g granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp dark rum
- Zest of 1 lime
- 2-3 Mint leaves
- 300g full fat cream cheese
- 50g unsalted butter
- 400g icing sugar
- 2 tsps dark rum
- Zest of 2 limes
- Preheat the oven to 350F / 180°C / Fan Oven 160°C / Gas Mark 4.
- Line your muffin tin with 12 cake cases.
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Sieve in the flour and baking powder.
- Add in the salt, buttermilk, rum, vanilla extract and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into cases.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- In a small saucepan, bring the water and sugar to the boil.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, remove from heat and add in rum.
- Add the zest of lime and mint leaves.
- Leave to cool then remove the mint leaves.
- Poke a few small holes in the tops of the cupcakes then drizzle the syrup over them.
- Beat the cream cheese and butter together.
- Add in the icing sugar, rum, lime zest and combine.
- Pipe onto your cooled cupcakes.