Scrumptious Yule Log!
There is nothing quite like a chunky slice of chocolate yule log to get you into the festive spirit!
- 3 large eggs
- 85g caster sugar
- 85g plain flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ½ tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
Filler and topping:
- 50g butter
- 150g dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 284ml pot double cream
- 200g icing sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 200C or 180 if you have a fan oven.
- Prep your baking tins by greasing and lining with baking parchment. You’ll need a standard 23 x 23cm Swiss roll tin to create the cake.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together until they have a rich, creamy consistency (this can take up to 10 minutes so don’t give up too early).
- Combine the flour, cocoa and baking powder together, then sift onto the egg mixture. Add the vanilla extract. Once fully mixed, carefully pour into your baking tin and bake for 10 mins.
- Tip the cake it onto a sheet of baking parchment laid out on a flat surface, carefully roll the cake up from its longest edge with the paper inside. Do this slowly but don’t wait too long to attempt as the cake still needs to be malleable enough to fold without cracking. Then leave it to cool.
- Meanwhile make your icing.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together by breaking the chocolate into pieces and butter into cubes and heating gently in a bowl over a pan of hot water.
- When thoroughly combined remove from the heat. Stir in the syrup, vanilla extract and about a third of the cream, then sift in the icing sugar.
- Mix in the remaining cream and whisk until stiff.
- Unravel the cake and spread a thick layer of the mixture over it before re-rolling. Spread the remaining icing over the top of the log, use a fork to create a textured effect and decorate with icing sugar and edible icing toppers such as snowmen and holly.
Error: API requests are being delayed for this account. New posts will not be retrieved.
Log in as an administrator and view the Instagram Feed settings page for more details.