Gluten-free apple and almond cake
How to make gluten-free apple and almond cake
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped into chunks
- 300g/10½g golden caster sugar
- 8 medium free-range eggs
- Juice of one large lemon
- 325g/11½oz ground almonds
- 50g/2oz flaked almonds
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180C/375F/Gas 4. Grease and line a 25cm/10in tin.
- Place your chopped apple chunks into a large saucepan along with the lemon juice and two generous tablespoons of sugar. Add a splash of water and bring to the boil then turn the heat down to a simmer. Cook the apples for around 8 minutes or until they are soft.
- Use a fork to mash the apples together but not so the mixture is completely smooth (a little texture works well) then set aside.
- Once cool, combine the apples, eggs, ground almonds, almond essence, remaining caster sugar in a food processor and blend.
- Pour the mix into a cake tin and liberally sprinkle the flaked almonds over the top.
- Bake for around 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Leave to cool slightly before dusting with icing sugar. Best served still warm with a cup of tea!