How to make traditional Parkin sponge cake
- 110g butter
- 100g soft brown sugar
- 200g self-raising flour
- 110g dark treacle
- 200g golden syrup
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 110g oatmeal
- 1 medium egg
- 100ml of full-fat milk
- icing sugar for dusting
- Stem ginger
- Preheat the oven to 150 C / Gas 2. Grease and line a 30cm x 21cm baking tin with baking parchment.
- Grab a saucepan and start to melt your butter, add in the treacle, syrup and sugar and mix until fully combined and there are no grainy bits! Once done, remove from the heat.
- Then mix your flour, bicarbonate soda and oatmeal in a bowl. Bit by bit stir in the syrup mixture then whisk the egg and add that, and finally the milk.
- Pour it all into the baking tin.
- Bake for 90 minutes, allow to cool, dust with icing sugar and press the top with stem ginger, then cut into squares and serve.
- Top tip: Many baking connoisseurs believe Parkin is best after having been left for a day so this is one you can make in advance too!